NSHQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pondering from the road

+5
Земляне
saint1970
madd_rocker
Jessica
Shane
9 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Pondering from the road - Page 5 Empty Re: Pondering from the road

Post by Shane Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:29 am

Now that most of the wonderful visitors to my island are gone, there's almost nothing left to ponder while I'm driving into work anymore. Hell, I almost don't have time to think about much as I seem to be able to get to work in 1/2 the time it was taking me through the summer. I did see a turkey vulture on the side of the road this morning, that's almost as rare around here as a polite tourist.

Shane
Admin

https://nshq.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:51 am

lol!

madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:55 pm

Not really from the road but still pondering. I think I mentioned somewhere that my grocery store is in the process of torn down so they can build a better one on the same sight. So last week they shut down about 1/3 of the store to start the demo. This means they had to consolidate or get rid of some stuff. Yes the first couple of days it was a mess but I went in today and there is a greeter at the door with a list of where everything is and all the aisles are marked. I just wandered through all of them picking what I needed as I found it. When I got to the checkout the lady there obviously wanted to be somewhere else and I asked her about it. She said she wants to go on vacation until the new store is built because she lost her temper with a customer this morning because they were upset with the changes. For the record the store is exactly the same size as it was 20 years ago (when I moved here) and has everything I need, even if it's in a different place. There's no need to be nasty, you all know I'd be the last to say this but change is good sometimes. No need to be rude to the people trying to do their job, is there? I just look at it as an exploration type of adventure, the same thing as when I go on vacation somewhere new.

Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:21 pm

People hate change or inconvience!
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Земляне Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:48 pm

madd_rocker wrote:People hate change or inconvience!

Got to change things to keep them the same.
Земляне
Земляне

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:13 pm

This one came to me yesterday when someone mentioned steaming wallpaper to remove it. It happens that was one of my first jobs when I was in my early teens (damn work ethic, who would dream of working to get money for the things you wanted, but that's another story.) Which brings me to the whole "judging a book by it's cover" thing. The man I did that job for would buy older houses and then mostly by himself or with a helper like me, renovate them and sell them. I didn't care it was cash. This man was also friends with my parents and he and his brother were unstoppable on the tennis court, even though the never had the proper "whites" that everyone sported. Now for the interesting part of the story, a few years later I went off to college (university for those across the pond) and low and behold that man turned out to be my advisor, he also happened to be the head of the department. I didn't see that coming.

Now for part 2 of the story. Around that same time I was also working for a local dairy farmer helping to bring in hay during the summer. Mind you, we are in the woods of Maine. So the farmer I work for has most of the family working for him, we all work hard, have fun, and earn some money. My last summer with them I tell him I'm headed off to school to study computer science (no that didn't work out so well.) This farmer tells me he knows a little bit about that. It turns out when he was younger in the Navy, just when computers were started to be used (think room sized computers with punch card inputs) he was one of the first programmers the Navy ever had. I had to shake my head at that but found out not only was he telling the truth but even then in the early 80's he was still qualified to run most military computers.

It just goes to show, you never know what kind of people you're going to run into in your life, and don't be too hasty to judge.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:58 am

I was listening to some contest rules on the radio this morning, and one of them was "must be 21 to enter." Does anyone else remember looking forward to that birthday, thinking how magical the world would be when you got to that mark.... and nothing really happened when you got there?
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:50 am

Ah, I remember turning 18, which was the drinking age for 3.2 beer, and then they changed the law to 21 within a month!
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:11 am

Some stupid bag reversed into my car yesterday at top speed!  Not even enough time to hit the horn to warn her I was there.  I couldn't reverse as there was a car behind me.  Just had to yank the handbrake on, put a foot on the brake and wait for the crunch  Rolling Eyes

The idiot woman admitted it was her fault, she didn't look behind her, and was trying to be quick.  I was extremely polite, just exchanged details and didn't tell her what I actually thought!

So, a bit shaken up but ok, car needs repair now.  Off to get quotes at some point next week, just what I needed on top of my dodgy shoulder/arm.  Sad
Jessica
Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:35 am

So as I was driving into work this morning, I was thinking back to all the years we've been together when a COD game out and how it was the talk for months ahead of time. Weapon discussions, posting videos, who's getting it and when. You all remember those days don't you? Now we have nothing. I think the COD ship may have sailed finally. I remember signing into MW2 and there were 800k people playing anytime.... now sign into any COD game and there's barely enough to fill a lobby.

So are we bored with the same old bs or have we finally realized getting the same thing over and over really isn't that exciting? Anyway, I may see one or two of you on Tuesday.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GlennBacca Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 am

Shane wrote:So as I was driving into work this morning, I was thinking back to all the years we've been together when a COD game out and how it was the talk for months ahead of time. Weapon discussions, posting videos, who's getting it and when. You all remember those days don't you? Now we have nothing. I think the COD ship may have sailed finally. I remember signing into MW2 and there were 800k people playing anytime.... now sign into any COD game and there's barely enough to fill a lobby.

So are we bored with the same old bs or have we finally realized getting the same thing over and over really isn't that exciting? Anyway, I may see one or two of you on Tuesday.

First of all - I plan on getting Advanced Warfare. Though probably not right away, may wait until the new year.

I actually miss CoD online. I've had some really good times playing CoD 4, WaW, MW 2 and Black Ops especially. MW 3 and Ghosts are pretty bad, but Black Ops 2 is quite good.
I just think that it's gotten too complicated over the years. Now you have 7000 weapons and 50 000 perks... And it might seem a bit weird but a major thing that "killed" Ghosts for me was the multiplayer menu. It's just confusing. You can't even look at your challenges properly. It's just confusing as hell...
But of course the main thing is the gameplay. Ever since MW 3 I find myself putting half a clip into someone just for them to drop me in 2 bullets. Then I look at the kill cam and then I see it's actually THEM that empty their clip on me before I can even get my weapon ready... I don't know what it is, if it's lag compensation or something. But it doesn't make any sense.

I think they have to go back to the roots of CoD 4 and WaW, or even MW 2 and Black Ops. They have just got too ambitious.
Personaly I really want a new WW 2 game. If it's CoD or something else doesn't really matter, I just want someone to make a WW 2 shooter for the new gen consoles.
To be honest I would be happy if they just released a remake of WaW lol
I would definitely play that!
GlennBacca
GlennBacca
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:32 am

I'm with you there Glenn. Rumour does have it that next years COD may well be a WW2 game.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GlennBacca Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:42 am

Shane wrote:I'm with you there Glenn. Rumour does have it that next years COD may well be a WW2 game.

Well if that turns out to be true then I will definitely get that! The fact that it's WW2 is enough for me Very Happy
I think the weapons from WW2 is more interesting and fun to use in games. I love that it's semi-autorifles and bolt action sniper rifles. You have that in the "modern" games as well but there's pretty much no point in using it as the auto weapons are way more effective...
GlennBacca
GlennBacca
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:55 am

......and I'm pretty sure they didn't have air strikes in WW2. Maybe a strafing run, that could be kinda cool.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:38 am

A WW2 would be nice, it has been a while that I've heard anything about it, and I also agree with the idea of a re-release of COD4 and CODWAW for the new consoles.
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by GlennBacca Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:40 am

madd_rocker wrote:A WW2 would be nice, it has been a while that I've heard anything about it, and I also agree with the idea of a re-release of COD4 and CODWAW for the new consoles.

They released CoD Classic which was a remake. So I don't see any reason why they shouldn't do the same with at least one of those games Smile
GlennBacca
GlennBacca
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by DazzaFett Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:47 am

I am not planning on getting the new COD at the moment. (but never say never)
Although it does sadden me that the COD ship does seem to have sailed.

W@W was such a fun game, i also love the WWII genre and there was pretty much nothing i didn't like about the game. I loved every single Map and the original Zombies was just great fun.
The format was simple and it was by far the most enjoyable online gaming experience ever for me.

When MW2 came out i was so hyped up and excited i even took a week off work to play it on release. It all went down hill from there really. I remember i got the game a day early and enjoyed a great first day on it with no lag. Then on the Official release day the Servers crashed and when it eventually came back online the Lag was horrible. I also agree they have made the format way too complicated now and the fun has been sucked out of it. Sometimes Simple really is better. Each COD since then has just been more and more of a let down on MP to the point that the only real reason i got the last couple was to play the Solo Campaign and Co-Op mode. This time i am not even fussed about those really.
I may well pick it up at some point in the Future just to go for the Trophies but with so many other un-played games in my backlog i cant really justify getting it yet plus i am still enjoying Destiny anyway.
DazzaFett
DazzaFett

Back to top Go down

Post by GlennBacca Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:59 am

DazzaFett wrote:with so many other un-played games in my backlog

This is also a reason why I (probably) won't get the new CoD right away. I'm starting to get quite the backlog myself and I want to try and get some games off that list. I think I have about 50 games that I'm yet to play for PS3 and PS4, and that's not counting games I have borrowed or games for the XBox...
And there's a lot of other games that I want as well;
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Rogue
LEGO The Hobbit
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
FarCry 4

Too mention a few...

I also want The Elder Scrolls Online but the release keeps getting pushed back from what I've seen. I've just checked and now it says 31st March...
I don't get it, it's already out for PC and has been for a long time now. Why does it take so long to get it out to console? Doesn't make anysense to me.

Oh btw Daz, I remember you said one time that you have Skyrim in your backlog. I reccomend that you make that game a priority Cool It's my all-time favourite game and I'm sure you'd love it Smile
GlennBacca
GlennBacca
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:04 pm

So this one is from this morning, and it's a 2 for. As I said a while ago the local market is undergoing renovations and considering the business is running they are moving along nicely with it. This morning they closed off the side of the lot we've been parking on the last few weeks to start tearing it up. Just to make sure nobody comes into the work area, they blocked it with a huge yellow truck while they erected the temp fences. So between the road and the truck (with no driver in it) there is enough room for 1 car and yes there was one car there waiting for the truck to move.... duh. But this is where it gets really good, in my lane (blocking the road so I can't go anywhere) there's another car with it's blinker on also waiting for the truck to move. Now I'm not that smart but if the road is blocked, there's nobody in the blocking vehicle, there's a huge tractor ripping out the trees behind said blocking vehicle, and a bunch of guys rolling fencing towards me, I'd say I shouldn't be in the way and might come up with a different plan. These would be the same people who insist on blocking the road to get into a parking lot that's obviously full and will be for a while.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:12 am

So remember how they were digging up the parking lot? I drove by this morning and they are installing the forms for the foundation already. Now we've had a new building here at work that's been going on for 2 months now and it's still almost a month from getting done. It's not a complicated building, a 30'x30' square 20' high, granted it's made of concrete and a big project but the thought that came to my mind is that the next time we have a big project, we get the guys doing the market to do it for us, they would have had this finished up on their coffee break.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:04 am

Today it's cell phones. A couple of times a week I stop in a little shop to get coffee and smokes. The last 2 times I stopped in there was someone with his phone on speaker getting in the way and chatting away. I'm not that important or busy that I have to talk on the phone all the time, even when getting juice and a donut. Same thing in the grocery store, are you that important that you can't take a few minutes to do your shopping? Hell most of the time I either leave the phone in the car or at home. Am I the only one who remembers land line phones and having to wait to get home before making that call?
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GlennBacca Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:52 am

Shane wrote:Today it's cell phones. A couple of times a week I stop in a little shop to get coffee and smokes. The last 2 times I stopped in there was someone with his phone on speaker getting in the way and chatting away. I'm not that important or busy that I have to talk on the phone all the time, even when getting juice and a donut. Same thing in the grocery store, are you that important that you can't take a few minutes to do your shopping? Hell most of the time I either leave the phone in the car or at home. Am I the only one who remembers land line phones and having to wait to get home before making that call?

I completely agree. I actually hate talking on the phone when I'm out shopping or whatever. Also, as someone who has worked in a grocery store for 3 years, people talking on the phone while their shopping is actually quite rude to the people working there. Not when you're walking around in the store getting all the stuff you're going to buy. But when you go to pay for everything and you're still on the phone, that's actually quite rude. You have to have a certain amount of communcation with the people that work there and that's impossible if you don't put down the phone.
I don't understand why people have to use their phone all the time. Whether it's constant texting or phone calls 24/7, I just don't understand it...
GlennBacca
GlennBacca
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:29 am

I hate it when they do that at my work station, and there are other people waiting.
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:30 am

Also I hate it when they ar eon the phone and driving 25 in a 45 mph zone, really ticks me off.
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:19 am

I think anyone using their phone while driving should be fined at least £50, trouble is, they're rarely spotted by the police unless they cause an accident Rolling Eyes

Over use of mobiles is a pain, in shops nobody should use it while needing to communicate with others. If I was at the checkout I'd be tempted to just sit there and do nothing until the customer had put their phone away!

On a different topic. The stupid woman who reversed into my car full force has admitted it was totally her fault. My car is off for repairs on Friday and I have a hire car in the meantime. Hoping to get it back after about 4 days, we'll see.
Jessica
Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GlennBacca Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Jessica wrote:I think anyone using their phone while driving should be fined at least £50, trouble is, they're rarely spotted by the police unless they cause an accident  Rolling Eyes

50£? What are your fines at now? In Norway you get fined 2300NOK for using the phone. That's 230£.
GlennBacca
GlennBacca
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:09 am

It's 3 points on your licence and a £100 fine Glenn. The trouble is, hardly anyone is caught. We don't seem to have many police around nowadays, and they're too busy with 'real criminals' to be able to handle such mundane offences. More bobbies on the beat definitely needed Exclamation
Jessica
Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:48 am

So this morning I was a few minutes late rolling out on my way to work. I got to the end of my street and had to wait to make the turn onto the main road. How come it seems like hours when you're in that situation and the spacing is always just bad enough that you have to keep waiting or do something stupid? Actually I was there less than a minute but it sure felt like forever. Smile
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum