NSHQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pondering from the road

+5
Земляне
saint1970
madd_rocker
Jessica
Shane
9 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Pondering from the road - Page 6 Empty Re: Pondering from the road

Post by GlennBacca Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Jessica wrote:I think anyone using their phone while driving should be fined at least £50, trouble is, they're rarely spotted by the police unless they cause an accident  Rolling Eyes

50£? What are your fines at now? In Norway you get fined 2300NOK for using the phone. That's 230£.

GlennBacca
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:09 am

It's 3 points on your licence and a £100 fine Glenn. The trouble is, hardly anyone is caught. We don't seem to have many police around nowadays, and they're too busy with 'real criminals' to be able to handle such mundane offences. More bobbies on the beat definitely needed Exclamation

Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:48 am

So this morning I was a few minutes late rolling out on my way to work. I got to the end of my street and had to wait to make the turn onto the main road. How come it seems like hours when you're in that situation and the spacing is always just bad enough that you have to keep waiting or do something stupid? Actually I was there less than a minute but it sure felt like forever. Smile

Shane
Admin

https://nshq.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Why do people in light colored vehicles drive with headlights off when there is fog out and visibilty it very limited Rolling Eyes Shocked
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:56 am

So I drove by one of the banks on the way in this morning, and the Christmas lights are already up and on. Really? We haven't even made it to Thanksgiving (over here) yet. I'm okay with the first weekend in December, especially since we have a Chamber of Commerce holiday here anyway that weekend, but can't we get one holiday out of the way before we start the next one?
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:21 am

So true!!!!
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:34 pm

It would be nice, I wish all Christmas advertising was banned until 1st December personally. Over here the Halloween section in shops was minimal because so much space was used up for Christmas, totally stupid!

On a lighter note, I still have my hire car as the garage don't seem capable of replacing the bonnet correctly on my car, it's only taken them 10 days so far lol
Jessica
Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:23 am

So I stopped by the market on the way to work today (the one that's being rebuilt.) I'm not sure who they have doing the work, but I'm impressed. The outer foundations are all done, in one section they are working on the under floor plumbing, meanwhile at the other end of site they are putting up the steel framework.... all in the rain. This must not be a government job. Then I get to work and see our new building that is just about as simple as it gets, still not done, 2 months later. It was actually started before the market job was.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:27 am

So a little background for our friends across the pond, today, the day after Thanksgiving, is the biggest shopping day over here and they call it Black Friday because this is the day that stores say they get into the black ink for the year. Anyway, I'm sitting here being bombarded by commercials and emails for all these big sales, which I always thought were for Christmas gifts. If that's the case, who needs huge savings on new tires? Even worse who's asking for a new set of tires for Christmas?
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:30 am

I asked Gerry for a new set of tyres for Christmas once!  It was all I needed really lol.  Needless to say, I didn't get them for Christmas, he just replaced them anyway - bless him.

The funniest thing I heard about Black Friday was a news item in the US that the origins of Black Friday stem back to the slave trade days.  Reportedly because then black slaves were sold more cheaply as it was the day after Thanksgiving when slave traders would sell slaves for a discount to assist plantation owners with more helpers for the upcoming winter (for cutting and stacking fire wood, winterproofing etc.), hence the name.

Talk about trying to stir up trouble  Rolling Eyes  Exclamation
Jessica
Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:17 am

This more pondering from my sofa, wrapped in blankets. My heating system is kinda working and my guy came once and it was working fine. The next morning nothing. Last night I got home and overode the timing program and got nothing until I went to bed, then it decided to work just fine. This morning back to nothing. There was a time when I could work on these things myself. Now it seems I might be too old to keep up with the technology. Why isn't anything easy anymore? On the up side, my guy is a customer of mine and does his best to be on it the day I call.... and my gas bill actually went down from last month because of this.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Thats from not working right! lol
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:11 am

Today we'll discuss the indicators when making a turn again, but to change it up it's going to be about the car coming at you with the indicator on but they don't turn. This morning I was waiting to turn onto the main road, which is pretty busy so you pretty much go when you get a chance, when crossing both lanes. So I see one lane is open, I look the other way and see a truck coming indicating that he is turning onto my road, so I go thinking I'll get out of his way for the turn and get on the main road ahead of him. I make the turn, check my mirror, and he's right on my back bumper, they never made the turn they were indicating. This is almost as bad as not indicating a turn at all and a lot more dangerous.... oh and guess what? The indicators were off when I looked back.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:05 am

As winter has arrived here, today we'll chat about winter driving and how it seems to bring out the IDIOT in people. So driving to work today I decided to go through town just to see what's new there. I got behind a tractor trailer obviously headed to the ferry. That's fine I'm in no hurry but the guy in the van behind me obviously is by how close to me he is following. We get to the turn for the boat, the truck puts on his blinker for a right turn and the van decides he's going to pass me and pull up to make the same turn the truck is, seeming to ignore the fact that the truck needs all the room he has to make that turn. The truck seems to be waiting for traffic to clear before starting his turn, by that time the van is right in his blind spot. Truck starts to turn, van sees this and locks up the brakes. Did I mention that we got just enough snow to make things slick? Van slides off the road and up onto the sidewalk to avoid the truck who can't even see him. Maybe if you took a little time to pay attention to what's going on you wouldn't be sitting on the sidewalk looking like an idiot?
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:15 pm

LOL, such as life with idiots!!!
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:13 am

Bad weather always brings out the worse in some drivers. Either too slow and over cautious or driving like maniacs Rolling Eyes
Jessica
Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:17 pm

Well it looks like our first snow of the year is due tonight. Nothing big, 2-4" which means they should just leave the plows at home since they cause more trouble in this case. Anyway, before I begin the drive home I'll get this out of the way, There is no reason to mob the grocery store tonight!!! It's not like we're going to be cut off from the world for a month here, it's a little snow. I hope I'm wrong but I'm betting there's going to be a line waiting for parking when I go by.

Now onto tomorrow morning for the ride into work.... yes we will be working, this storm barely qualifies as a bother. If you don't know how to drive in a little snow, maybe you shouldn't attempt it? I'm sure I'll be dealing with plenty of those on the way in.

I firmly believe that if you live North of the Mason-Dixon line you should have to take your driver's test in bad weather. I remember taking my motorcycle test in a torrential downpour because the officer doing it said that if I could do it in that I could do it in good weather. Yes I passed first time. Come to think of it I took my car test in the rain to.....
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:17 pm

Sadly I was right. Cars blocking the road waiting for a parking space and "creative parking" at the market when I drove by.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:20 pm

Okay I'm not on the road today but I'm still pondering this today. For anyone who doesn't know today is the Superbowl of American football. I don't have a dog in this fight and really don't care who wins but this is what really bugs me. The pre-game show started at 1300.... the game starts at 1800.... that's 5 hours of pre-game for a game that will actually take about 4 hours if they drag it out. Does anyone else think that might be overkill?
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:40 pm

Just a tad Shane, it's the same here with footie matches, 90 minutes of game play and about 2 hours of waffle each side of the match too. Rolling Eyes
Jessica
Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:31 pm

Got to make money with all of the commercials.
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:13 am

So once again it's snowing here, (Gravy wipe that grin off your face) and now we've gone from the extreme of people being stupid driving in it to the other side, being overly cautious in it. Half the staff was late coming in this morning because they were all stuck behind a car going 15 mph or less for the whole 5 miles out here. Listen up people!! If you don't feel safe driving in this mess maybe you shouldn't be out in it. Once again, common sense isn't that common. Hell I was behind a front end loader the whole way out here and we didn't go that slow.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:44 am

After yesterday's snow and before more arrives later today, I was driving into work on an unplowed road. There's one point where this road narrows over a bridge and wouldn't you know it, that's where I meet a jogger running on the road in the snow. Now I realize that this jogging thing is important to some but do you really need to be on the road, in traffic, when it hasn't been plowed? Couldn't you have waited just a little bit until it cleared a little more to get out? I don't understand people sometimes.....
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:24 pm

Just do try to understand people! You will end up with a bruised forhead!
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:10 am

And further proof that common sense is extinct. It started snowing early this morning, we have maybe 1/2" so far so the roads are just getting slick. Well I come up on a slight corner to see a car didn't even slow for it, they went straight.... through the corner, over the snow bank, through a fence, and into a tree. Nice job! I tend to slow down some when it's snowing and be extra careful on any corner. I did stop and ask if everyone was all right and they said the police were on the way. I can't wait for the ride home when we have even more snow on the roads.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:17 pm

LOL, so true, and the bigger the vehicle is the more careful you have to be and stopping distance that you need, because bigger doesnt mean invicible and more traction,............idiots!!!
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:22 pm

Also for the record, all wheel drive doesn't make you invincible either. Often it means you have 4 wheels pushing you into trouble instead of 2. I know, that's what I have.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:14 am

I ran into this once twice since I headed home yesterday. Yes the roads are narrowed some because of the snow but is there really a reason to be driving on my side of the road, and both times they looked at me like I was doing something wrong. Hell both times I had my offside tire in the snow bank trying to avoid them, I couldn't go any further.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum