NSHQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pondering from the road

+5
Земляне
saint1970
madd_rocker
Jessica
Shane
9 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Pondering from the road Empty Pondering from the road

Post by Shane Tue May 06, 2014 1:16 pm

So on my drive to and from work, I often see something or someone that makes me wonder what happened to the human race. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's funny, and most of the time it's just sad. It may be a sticker on a car that gets me to wondering, like yesterday did but since I'm on today, I'll start with today's pondering.

I watched a guy on a scooter leave stop. As he sped up, he hunkered down over the handlebars like a drag racer trying to keep the front tire down. I mention this because he looked pretty silly doing it as he must have been moving all of 6 mph. Also, I'm not sure but I would think that pushing down like that would actually slow him down, no matter how much he cuts down the drag by hunching over like that. Laughing

I'll try to share these events as I see them daily. Everyone else join in because I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees this kind of stuff every day.
Shane
Shane
Admin

https://nshq.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Pondering from the road Empty Re: Pondering from the road

Post by Jessica Wed May 07, 2014 2:44 am

Nice one.

The thing that gets me is the idiots with a 'baby on board' sticker in their cars.  Originally designed so medics would be alerted to the possibility of an infant being in the car in case of an accident, good idea.  However, people leave them in their cars whether they have a kid on board or not anyway.

Also, it would be better to have a 'beware, driver probably not paying attention' sticker instead, as most car owners with the 'baby on board' sticker seem to fit into this category!   Rolling Eyes 
Jessica
Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Wed May 07, 2014 8:51 am

Today will be a nice one. As the weather has finally turned decent around here, more kids are riding their bikes to school now and today I noticed at least a half dozen parents out riding with them on the way. In a day and age where parents don't seem to care a lot anymore it was a good thing to see, especially with the small children.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Thu May 08, 2014 2:08 pm

I'm not feeling quite as good about it as yesterday as later on I discovered it was National Bike to School day. It's not nearly a special.

This morning it was dodge the people talking on their phone day. Apparently that line down the middle of the road doesn't matter when you are on the phone. It seems to be only for the people who are actually paying attention to driving the car. I have a phone and I refuse to answer it when driving, I must not be that important.... or needy.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Fri May 09, 2014 8:28 am

Now in most parts of the world, you wait for the car in the round about to pass before pulling in. Not here, not today. Twice I had to stop because people just had to get out ahead of me. What makes it worse, is I know for sure they could see me but they wouldn't even look at me as they pulled away. It must be hard to go through life being that important.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Mon May 12, 2014 8:36 am

So as I sat in a line of cars waiting for children to board the school bus I had another one of those thoughts. I'm blaming parents for this one. There must have been 15 cars in the line I was in and we're all waiting for 1 kid to stroll down to the bus, not run, not walk fast, stroll. That bus runs through the same time every day at almost exactly the same time and this kid doesn't know to be out there? Okay I can see getting a little behind but to just take your time getting out there and making 20-30 people wait for your lazy ass to stroll down the drive to the bus is just inconsiderate.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Mon May 12, 2014 10:11 am

Tell me about that sssssshhhhhh!!!!!!
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Tue May 13, 2014 2:21 am

At least the kid got the bus, over here it seems children are carted around in cars because they're too lazy to walk, what amuses me the most is huge people carriers and 4x4's with just 1 kid inside!  Laughing 
Jessica
Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Tue May 13, 2014 10:46 am

And here I thought it was just an American thing  Smile 
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Tue May 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Today's pondering comes from watching a tractor trailer trying to make a corner while a very helpful person pulled directly into the line the trailer has to go through and then waving the driver of the truck to go ahead. Common sense really has gone away. Having spent some time driving trucks with trailers attached I know it's far easier on the truck, trailer, myself, and the curb to have enough room to make the turn. That's why when I approach an intersection and see any kind of large truck also approaching (especially since our roads were built the size of horse and buggy days) I will stop far back and let them make their turn first or if I didn't see them in time do my best to clear out of the way as quickly as possible, even if it means blocking another lane. All I could do today was sit there shaking my head as this person pulled right up to block the turn for the truck and then sit there gesturing for the truck to go even though if he had he would have driven right over her. Then they wouldn't get out of the way even though it was pretty obvious that the truck could not move with them right where they were.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Wed May 14, 2014 1:02 pm

So today, so far, I've made 3 runs to the airport so I've had plenty of time to observe my fellow drivers and all I can say is now I see why you over in the UK have so many roundabouts (I won't go into that whole thing here today) because a lot of people can't grasp the concept of a 4 way stop. It's really pretty easy, by law (in this state at least) first one to stop is the first to go once the way is clear. Should 2 vehicles arrive at the same time the one to the right has the right of way. I lost track of how many times today I saw either someone not stop at all or just go whether they were first or not.... or even worse, just sit there while everyone waits for them to decide what they are going to do.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Wed May 14, 2014 1:44 pm

I just hate that.
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Thu May 15, 2014 2:29 am

Roundabouts do make life a lot easier  Very Happy

If I find I arrive at a roundabout when the other vehicles at the junctions do too I always go, they seem to dither wondering who'll make the first move  Laughing  
Jessica
Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by saint1970 Thu May 15, 2014 4:33 am

Ive noticed now that there are more people at roundabouts who will gesture for u to go even if tbeyre on the right and its their right of way. Oh and I had a massive people carrier with only one child in it on school runs cos I only had one child but needed a big vehicle for luggage and stuff to do with child
saint1970
saint1970

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Fri May 16, 2014 2:13 am

Poor excuse Stu, it's easy to manage with a regular (or small even) car with 1 child and lots of luggage. You should see what Rosie takes on holiday, especially now she's older!  Laughing 
Jessica
Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Fri May 16, 2014 8:08 am

This is actually from yesterday but I didn't have time to write it up. I had to meet one of the boats downtown early but I got there a few minutes early so had a chance to just hang out. A little background, the boat I was meeting brings over a lot of workers every morning and their co-workers will meet them there and go off so there are quite a few vehicles trying to find space but the problem is that there isn't a whole lot of room. Also keep in mind that the boat turn right around so there also people getting ready to leave. There is a little parking area that can hold 7 or 8 cars and that's about it. As I walk up to the area something looks a little odd to me. There's one car in there that not only hasn't pulled all the way in (they are actually about 6' back from the hedge that marks the front edge of the parking lot) but they have parked at an angle so they are taking up 2 spaces. So for the next 15 minutes I stood there watching cars and trucks trying to move around this idiots car. I watched the elderly van who was trying to drop off a lady in a wheel chair make about a 23 point turn before she could unload all because 1 inconsiderate person doesn't know how to park. I do realize there are no lines painted there but a little common sense might tell you to park like everyone else in the lot.... and maybe pull all the way in?
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Fri May 16, 2014 10:59 am

Just curious, what type of vehicle was it?
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Fri May 16, 2014 11:00 am

Some kind of sub compact, Nissan/ Mazda sort of thing.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Fri May 16, 2014 11:05 am

So than, not really worthy of two parking spaces  Rolling Eyes 
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Fri May 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Hell had they pulled all the way in there was room for another small car and still room on the street. No, it wasn't in the Jag, Mercedes class.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Fri May 16, 2014 1:49 pm

Or monster truck!  Laughing 
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Sat May 17, 2014 2:25 am

While we're talking about parking, why is it people don't have the common sense to reverse into spaces when they park?

A colleague and I looked around our car park at work yesterday and noticed only 3 of us had reversed into spaces (something very easy to do in our car park, lots of room), another 16 had all just driven in.

It's much easier to drive out of any parking space than have to reverse out of it, so why don't drivers have the common sense to reverse in in the first place  Question 
Jessica
Jessica
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane Sat May 17, 2014 6:19 am

It's also safer, but I think it's a lazy sort of thing. I almost always back into the spot I have here at the house unless I'm unloading stuff from the other side. At work we don't have the same thing but I'll usually park so I'm facing out so I can just get in and drive away.
Shane
Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madd_rocker Sat May 17, 2014 10:51 am

Drive fastly away is more likely!!! Laughing 
madd_rocker
madd_rocker
Master Hunter
Master Hunter